Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Red lipstick and bathroom mirrors.

I used to write... a lot. I loved poetry and the challenge of piecing together words to create an image or a moment. And the best part is that you never know when the inspiration is going to strike or when you are going to notice one of those fine details.

Without fail my best inspiration comes from when I am in the shower. It is almost like my thoughts flow with the running water. But any writer will tell you that if you don't write it down immediately and in the moment, you lose it. My sister reminded me yesterday of how I used to jump out in the middle of my shower, soaking wet to scribble my thoughts down on the bathroom mirror (for lack of pen and paper) with eyeliner or best ever ... red lipstick because I didn't want those momentary thoughts to get lost. It was all for the 'cause' of written expression and seeing beauty ... or finding emotional freedom - both of which inspired this blog.

It feels so good to be writing again. Good and terrifying all in the same breath and honest writing doesn't leave much room to hide - it is quite exposing. I am wrestling with the fact that I am just laying it all out there ... or at least a lot of it. I worry what the reader will think of me. But I need to get it out and I have a story and my desire to share it trumps the fear of potential critics.

So here is to honest writing and finding emotional freedom. Cheers.

5 comments:

  1. From an admiring cheerleader, Yea!! for you, Go Famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could lay it all out there, too. But too often am caught up in my fears of what someone else will think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems that you have come alive. Your writing is beautiful and fresh. Such a pleasure to read because even though I am miles away, it makes me feel closer to you. Which makes me realize that I should be better myself, so that my family can me closer to me. Write on!

    ReplyDelete